Discussion #4: Do you lend books to other people? Why or why not?

hearteuHello beautiful people! It’s currently Day 2 of my 3-day work off and I still haven’t done very much in the productivity department except go to the mall and spend money I don’t have. Yeah. Talk about fun haha. I’m back with another question to ponder! (because I still haven’t finished any books lel)

I received some beautiful goodies in the mail aka my book order from Chapters/Indigo! I almost forgot I spent that much money on new books, no regrets once I smelled that new book scent though! Maybe I’ll do a haul post, maybe not, it might be a bit boring.

Other than that, nothing new happened so I’ll just get onto the question!

fan

Do I lend books to other people? Well, I’m not really that fortunate to have friends who read in the first place so I don’t have anyone to share my books with *sad face*. When I used to have them though, I would lend it to them.. only I also have to borrow one of theirs at the same time lol call it collateral.

I’ve had some friends who still has my books until now but then I also have their book so every time we see each other, we kind of just briefly mention ‘the book’ and laugh about how we still have each others copies? The good thing about what I did with that though was we pretty much just kept the copies and bought used ones of the other one we borrowed.. it worked out in the end, I think.

Now though, even if I do meet someone who reads, I rarely buy physical books anymore that I can’t lend it to them at all.. unless I lend my kindle to them, which will NEVER happen lol that device is my baby.

I’m not that careful with my books to be fair. I don’t mind if they come back a bit bent or what not, as long as it didn’t look like it went to hell and back. I also buy most of my physical copies used so it mostly comes scratched and dented already. Thankfully though, most of the people I’ve lent my books to were very careful people, just not the best at returning them haha

In short, I do lend my books to people I know who wants to read it. My concern is more about whether or not they’ll actually return it and not if they’re gonna dog-ear it or something. I’ve had plenty of book unreturned already that right now I don’t trust people lol it of course also add that if you’re their friend, they feel less pressure to actually return it.. which is confusing to me? I want to finish books quickly if I know a friend has enjoyed it so we can talk about it, but maybe it’s just me.

How about you guys, do you lend books to others? To a select few maybe? Not at all? Comment down below, let’s chat!

rainbow

Lots of love,

2c6adb7ca4aafa8cf7e8f8ee28e2fff5744070918.png

36 thoughts on “Discussion #4: Do you lend books to other people? Why or why not?

1. Firstbooklove says:

I don’t have a ton of friends, but my only friend does read, but we enjoy different genres! I don’t actually buy a ton of books, so when we go to the library together, I actually recommend books to her if I find a copy at the library instead! I wouldn’t lend books to people since I used to lend a lot of things in the past and they always came back broken or scratched or with something missing, and books are the most important things to me, so definitely nope.

Liked by 1 person

• tornpagesandroses says:

That’s true about the library! I almost forgot about it. I guess it does help when you read differently ๐Ÿ˜Š yeah having my things broken or not taken care of pretty much stops me from lending them anything. I treat other people’s things with care so if it’s not mutual then too bad.

Liked by 1 person

• Firstbooklove says:

Definitely! Agreed, same here! I treat othersโ€™ things as though it were my own and Iโ€™ve seen my old friend ( no longer friends anymore) literally scratch my thousand dollar DSLR on the table and not even bothering to check whether it was okay or not after that, and she still wanted me to lend that DSLR a few instances after that to her when she didnโ€™t take good care of it either ๐Ÿ˜ช

Liked by 1 person

• Firstbooklove says:

Well, technically that friend ditched me, but Iโ€™m better off without then ๐Ÿ˜‚ IKR? I think that time I was peer pressured into lending it, after that experience, I never lent out important stuff again!

Liked by 1 person

2. deborahkehoe says:

If I have physical copies and its not a book I want to keep I give them away to people I think will like them. Share the love! Also, I have a Little Free Library that I put books into for neighbors to readโ€ฆ i love sharing!

Liked by 1 person

• tornpagesandroses says:

I wish I had a free little library near me! I would love to just drop off the books for people instead of at Value Village or something so they can get them for free. I’ll have to check out my area then. Thanks for the suggestion!

Liked by 1 person

3. Mandy @ Book Princess Reviews says:

Honestly, it depends on how must I trust people. There are some people I totally trust and some people I know I will never get the book back from and/or not in the same condition I left it. However, even with some of the people that I do trust Iโ€™ve had issues. My best friend put one of my favorite books in her backpack and it not only got drenched in water but also the cover ripped. So I make sure it is free from backpacks! Wonderful discussion post! ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

4. Kelly Brigid says:

I read primarily ebooks so I donโ€™t loan physical books too often! But, when I do loan them to friends, I have to trust them wholeheartedly with my babies! If I know theyโ€™re not a big reader and will likely trash the book, I probably wonโ€™t offer to lend them the book. Lol. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Liked by 1 person

5. Kaleena @ Reader Voracious says:

I used to lend my books to friends but I never get them back so I have stopped doing that. Funnily enough a former colleague of mine messaged me on Facebook a couple of weeks ago like “I think I still have your copy of American Gods, let’s have lunch.” I’ve been looking for that book for months.

The number of books I’ve had to rebuy is obnoxious.

Liked by 1 person

6. Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) says:

๐Ÿ˜ญ Us bookworms should all gather together and become a bookish country, haha. Bless the internet or we would all be lonely with our book thoughts.

I rarely loan books if any. I don’t many physical copies, so there isn’t much for anyone to borrow. However, I DO let some people borrow my Kindle books if it is available to be loaned on Amazon.

Liked by 1 person