Discussion #2: Do you shop for specific books or are you a browser?

youalreadyknow

Hello guys! I’m trying my best to be more active on posting in this blog because I’m just lazy. I’m not even gonna pretend I was super busy haha. So for this discussion post, I present the question: do you shop specific books or are you a browser? You already know 🙂

Personally, I will classify myself as both. Yes, yes, really cliché way to answer this question but it’s true!
Let me elaborate: while I do go to bookstores to browse most of the time, I always have this floating list off the top of my head of some books I want to purchase when I get the chance. Since I love shopping used books, this makes it for a more exciting fact because I can browse for daaaays. I always go out of the shop with waay too much books than I need because I can a) grab the books I know I want to and b) grab the new, shiny books that I find! Isn’t that charming?

Now, I haven’t bought any books at all for the most of this year because I ran out of bookshelf space and space for new bookshelves so I had to stop buying physical copies. BUT during my binge buy last year (holidays and I went through a tough breakup so, retail therapy) I can definitely say I went into the stores with a purpose. I had a list guys, which is rare for me because who has time for those, and within the time span of 6 months (May until December) I managed to acquire 400 books. It was bad haha. Now I have about 530 physical books, most of which are unread, that has to be dealt with before I can have space for new ones (don’t even get me started with my ebooks).

cofeebookscats

So, is it better to be a browser or to have a list of books to buy?

Pros and cons: Browsing

Off the top of my head, some of the good things about browsing would be, it gives you a chance to look for new titles or authors that you might not have known of before, or it could potentially let you discover books about certain topics that you didn’t know existed. It basically will let you look through the majority of the catalog of books.

The cons on the other hand would be: it’s very, very bad for the wallet. I know this first hand and I will definitely tell you to plan out your book buying if the cash is strapped (which obviously never happens because books first right? lol) other than that, I recommend browsing to your heart’s desire (it’s great to relieve stress, unless you’re broke then is it stressful?)

Pros and cons: Planning books

Off course, the good thing about this is, it helps you stick to your book or budget limit because it helps eliminate all them distractions. It could also POTENTIALLY help us control our overwhelming TBRs by limiting our books and forcing us to read it before buying new ones (hopefully?)

It, on the other hand, could make book buying a freaking chore. We got the list, go in, grab said books, pay for it, then we’re done. Out, no browsing, not even a chance to breathe in that freshly printed smell. That’s sad. If it works for you, it would be great but I’m going out on a limb here and declare that most bookworms would rather be buried under book piles than treat it like grocery shopping right?

buriedinbooks

The conclusion: we should do both. I do both, I hope you do too, and we should all share the goodness of both browsing and looking specifically for books. Because book shopping is fun. Let’s keep it that way, eh?

This was a really fun question to answer 🙂 So, are you guys either? Or both? Did I miss more points about this? Please comment down below, let’s talk about it!

Lots of love,

2c6adb7ca4aafa8cf7e8f8ee28e2fff5744070918.png

26 thoughts on “Discussion #2: Do you shop for specific books or are you a browser?

1. Norrie says:

Both!
    Even when i specifically want to buy a book, it always leads me to others.
    Every month i go all over the monthly kindle sale as well and just stock up on books i will then not read for years 😀

Liked by 1 person

2. Hannah Maggie says:

I’m mostly a browser as I never have any idea what books are popular at any time!
    Sometimes I will see a book/author and vaguely remember somebody recommending them, and in that case I usually take a look c:

Liked by 1 person

• tornpagesandroses says:

Ahh, that’s true! I forgot the days before I started blogging. It felt much less of a pressure because like you, I wasn’t aware of new releases etc haha you still get to treasure hunt though! Yay!

3. Carolina @fictionologyst says:

I’m a little bit of both! I always know what I want to buy when I go to the bookstore, but once I’m there I always end up buying different books too 😂

Liked by 1 person

4. Charlotte Annelise says:

I mostly shop for a specific book rather than browsing. There’s usually always a book that I know I really want. Sometimes I will browse but never actually buy the books I think I might like. I don’t know why I that is, maybe I should browse for books more!

Liked by 1 person

5. brewingcolour says:

I feel as though I’m probably a mix of both too. I love browsing bookstores and seeing what they have on offer but I think I’m pretty good at this point at not buying every time. If I pick up the same book every time then I’ll usually end up buying it but tbh it’s mainly due to a lack of space for them.

Liked by 1 person

6. misslittlewoodreads says:

Both! Because my TBR is so huge (and growing at an almost exponential rate (Thanks Twitter!) I often browse, look at my TBR on Goodreads and if it’s a book that’s not on there I try to justify it to myself! I don’t generally go out looking for specific books though, unless it’s something I’ve heard a lot about and am curious to read myself.

7. brunchingbookworms says:

I used to buy specific books all the time but I have turned into such a browser, whether that be in charity shops or supermarkets or maybe a 241 deal in a bookstore I end up browsing I guess the most when I see a good deal 🤗📚

Liked by 1 person

8. Lauren says:

I can totally relate to this, lol. There definitely needs to be a healthy balance of both. Usually if I’m at a bookstore, I’ll just browse. When I want a specific book, I’ll buy it right away on Amazon (usually way cheaper than retail bookstores anyway). Great post, I loved reading your thoughts 🙂

Liked by 1 person

9. Ilsen Leon says:

I browse and plan. When I have a list of books I need to buy, I get that and something a little extra just for myself because I can’t help it. When none of those books are available, I full on browse. But I always look for books whenever I’m in a bookstore. I just can’t help it.

Liked by 1 person